It’s been 15 months since Brad was laid off from his last job, and 3 months since he began his new position here in sunny California. We haven’t figured it all out, but here are a few things we learned along the way:
- Pray. A lot. Be Specific.
- Be a Team. This is not the time to criticize one another.
- Love your spouse and kids. Like crazy.
- Find Inspiration. Read your Bible. Remember Steve Jobs was laid off too.
- Interview, interview, interview. Get a babysitter if necessary.
- Do short-term positions to pay the bills. Use whatever degrees, skills, certifications, and contacts you currently have. Get creative.
- Learn new skills. If you’ve coached, try refereeing. If you write, try blogging. If you teach, try writing curriculum.
- Build up your emergency savings. Your rainy day is here.
- Get Gazelle-Intense. Get angry at your debts. Pay off your loans. Move in with your parents.
- Downsize. Sell your extra car, unused technology, books, and furniture.
- Manage every cost you can. Search out the cheapest rates, deals, and discounts. Apply for financial aid in whatever forms you need.
- Be Thankful. There are more blessings around you than you realize.
If you have been through a lay-off, how did you survive?