Cross-country air travel is not exactly cheap these days. Here is how we were able to afford to fly our family of four home for Thanksgiving on a tight budget:
- We asked for help with travel expenses as a Christmas gift.
- We made our presence a present. (We spent our Christmas gift money on airfare.)
- Brad & I substitute-taught for 3 of the 12 days we were home.
- We bought snacks at the grocery store/CVS before we left so that we wouldn’t buy expensive convenience foods at the airport or elsewhere.
- We stayed with family, borrowed a family car, and our parents babysat the kids for free while we were teaching.
- We packed light. We didn’t earn any extra fees by checking luggage.
- We bought our tickets for dates that were least expensive.
What are some ways that you have found to save money when you travel for the holidays?