‘Tis the season for making gingerbread houses, and I have never made one before! So I decided that we would try making our first one this year. I recently saw a friend on Facebook using graham crackers instead of gingerbread, so I thought that would work for us.
Our simple “gingerbread” house mostly used ingredients that we had leftover from our Christmas party. Other ingredients were found in our kitchen:
- Peanut Butter
- Tootsie Roll (from a Christmas gift)
- Green Sprinkles (from Christmas Tree Brownies)
- Mini M&M’s (from Christmas Tree Brownies)
- Candy Canes (from Christmas Tree Brownies)
- Graham Crackers (from our Christmas Party)
- Peanut Butter Pretzels (from our Christmas Party)
- Green Icing (mixed for Oliver’s Birthday Cake)
I wrapped a cookie sheet in foil for the base. Then I used the peanut butter as mortar on our little house, and the green icing as embellishment. Although I think it probably tastes better this way, I don’t think the peanut butter is as strong a glue as the icing. 🙂
It was a hit! Although I was afraid it wouldn’t stand long enough for us to finish it, it lasted just long enough. Then the kids munched away. Yeah!
What seasonal projects have you enjoyed doing with your children this year?