Six months ago I was able to get these awesome Melissa & Doug Animal Magnets for free from SaveMore.com using a deal I saw posted on Money Saving Mom. They have been a big hit with our kids!
Here are some ideas for using them for educational purposes:
- Ask your toddler to point to each animal as you name it.
- Ask your toddler to name each animal. Remove correctly named animals until no animals remain.
- Ask your toddler to make the sound each animal makes as you point to it.
- Ask your toddler to group similar animals. (ex. Which animals can swim in the water?)
- Give your toddler clues to find specific animals. (ex. Which animal goes, “Moo”?)
- Use the animal magnets to sing a song like “Old MacDonald” or “Rise & Shine.”
- Ask your toddler to help pick up the magnets, singing Barney’s “Clean Up Song.”
What other ways can you suggest to use animal magnets as a teaching tool?