If you have been following The Abundant Wife for a little while, you may notice that I often rave about my current favorite cookbook, Simply in Season. My mother gave me and all of my sisters a copy of Simply in Season for Christmas a few years ago. As you can see from the cover, Simply in Season is full of recipes that celebrate fresh, local foods in the spirit of More-with-Less. I love the stories and tips between the recipes on each page. Most of the recipes are simple to make and require few ingredients. I love introducing new foods to our family, many I have never tried before. However, one of the many reasons I love this cookbook is that every recipe I have served to my family has been delicious!
Here are some of the recipes that we have tried (and loved!) from Simply in Season:
- Fresh Tomato Soup (pg. 96)
- Almond-Parmesan Green Beans (pg. 114)
- Creamy Pesto Pasta (pg. 122)
- Fresh Tomato & Basil Pasta (pg. 122)
- Apricot Chicken (pg. 142)
- Stuffed Acorn Squash with Sausage Stuffing (pg. 208)
- Pumpkin Sausage Pasta (pg. 212)
- Liberian Pumpkin (pg. 213)
- Winter Squash Bars (pg. 219)
- Frosted Persimmon Cookies (pg. 223)
- Roasted Winter Vegetables (pg. 251)
- Oven Fries (pg. 255)
- Southwestern Potatoes (pg. 259)
- Baked Oatmeal (pg. 294)
- Vegetarian Chili (pg. 301)
Another thing that I love about this cookbook, as you may have noticed above, is that the recipes are organized by season. This makes it very easy to find recipes that are made from produce that is available right now! Since late summer, I have cooked the first 5 items listed above. However, I’ve also been trying to finish off the frozen pumpkin and persimmon in our freezer, so I’ve been making Pumpkin Sausage Pasta and Frosted Persimmon Cookies again.
Do you have a favorite cookbook? Where do you find delicious recipes for your family?